Sunday, July 2, 2017

Interjection



INTERJECTION

1.  Definition of Interjection
          Interjections are small words that bear no grammatical connection with the sentences in which they are used. They express the emotions or sentiments of the speaker or convey hesitation or protest. They are usually followed by an exclamation mark. Interjections are rarely used in academic or formal writing, but are common in fiction or artistic writing. They are usually, but not always, offset by an exclamation point (which is also used to show emotion). Interjections are used most often in speech. While people don’t necessarily pause to think about it, they use interjections all the time. This is even true when you consider the fact that common words used in pauses, such as “uh!” and “um!” are interjections.
Interjections can find their way into fictional pieces, most often in the form of dialogue. They can also be used in informal written communication between two people, such as letters or emails.
Example:
·        Oh! I’ve lost my key.
·        Phew! That was close. I nearly forgot my purse.
·        Wow! There are so many sweets here.

       They (Oh!, Phew!, and Wow!) are interjections used to show the speaker’s admiration in the sentence.

  
2.     Type of Interjection
        There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of interjections in the English language.
Most are designed to express strong emotion such as:
v Surprise
       Example: Wow! Gosh!
v Happiness
       Example: Hurray! Yippee!
v Anger
Example:  Argh!
v Enthusiasm
       Example: Yup! Yeah!
v Confusion
       Example: Huh?
v Disgust
       Example: Eww! Eek!
v Hurt
       Example: Ouch!
v Relief
       Example: Phew!
v Thinking about something
       Example: well, hmm, um
v Clumsy
Example: Oops!
    
3.     Use of Interjections
A.   Beginning of Sentence
        When people think of interjections, they commonly think of them being used at the beginning of the sentence. Many also associate interjections with a punctuation mark design to convey emotion: the exclamation point.
This is often true. Interjections can and do appear in the beginning of the sentences. For example:
·        Congrats! You finally got your Master’s degree.
·        Oh dear! I don’t know what to do about this mess.
        In both of these sentences the interjection-“Congrats!” and “Oh dear!” appear at the beginning of the sentences. In addition, in both of the sentences, the emotion is a strong emotion and the sentences itself ends with an exclamation point.

B.   Middle of Sentence
        Interjections do not always have to be at the beginning of a sentence. They can appear in the middle of the sentence.
For example:
·        In my opinion, my gosh, this is just the smartest thing you have ever said.
       In the sentence, the interjection is found in the middle-”my gosh”.
It designed to express or convey the author’s emphasis on his opinion that the statement was smart. Again, no exclamation point is required.

C.   At the End of Sentence
        Interjection also can appear at the end of the sentence.
For example:
·        So, it’s snowing again, huh?
      In the sentence, the interjection is found at the end-“huh?”
        Here, the interjection is designed to express confusion (or perhaps dismay) at the continued snow falling. Instead, the interjection “huh?” turned the sentence into a question.

4.     Noun, verb, and adverb also can be an interjection.
A.   Noun as an Interjection:
·        Foolishness! Your dog is not smarter than my dog!

B.   Verb as an Interjection:
·        Clap! He deserves some applause for that performance.

C.   Adverb as an Interjection:
·        Nope! You cannot go into the room until I give you permission.

5.    List of Interjections
Interjection
Meaning
Sentence
Aah
Exclamation of fear
Aah! The monster’s got me!
Ahh
Realization or acceptance
Ahh, now I see what you mean.
Aww
Something sweet or cute
Aww! Just look at that kitten.
Bingo
Acknowledge something as right
Bingo! That’s exactly what we were looking for!
Eh
Question something
So that was all she said, eh?
Eww
Something disgusting
Eww! That movie was so gory.
Hmph
To indicate displeasure
Hmph. I could do that for half the amount he charged.
Oh
I see/ I think
Oh, it’s been around a week since I saw her
Oops
Making a mistake
Oops! Sorry I didn’t see those skates there.
Ouch
Exclamation of pain
Ouch, that hurt! Stop pinching me!
Shh
An indication for silence
Shh! The show is about to start.
Uh oh
Showing dismay
Uh oh! The teacher’s caught him.
Whew
Amazement and/or relief
Whew! I can’t believe we actually finished it all.
Wow
Expressing surprise or admiration
Wow! That’s really great news!
Yay/Yaay
Congratulatory exclamation
I can’t believe you’re actually coming here! Yaay!
Yeah
Variant of ‘yes’
Yeah, I’d love some orange juice.
Yikes
For fear or concern (not serious)
Yikes, my mother’s home!
Yippee
Exclamation of celebration
Yippee! We won, lets head to the bar.






Some interjections are used to stall for time or indicate that the speaker is thinking of something. These interjections are also used when someone doesn’t know what to say. The following is a list of these sounds or words; they are also called Hesitation Devices
Interjection
Meaning
Use
Uh
Indicates a pause/ need for more time
Wait I know this… uh… is it Ruskin Bond?
Hmm
Thinking/Hesitating about something
Hmm, I’m not sure this colour is the best for this room.
Er
Not knowing what to say
I don’t think…er… wait… let me call my boss.
Um
Pausing or being skeptical
Not that I don’t believe you but, um, you say it’s a ghost?

2 comments:

An Experience that Caused You to Learn Something about Yourself

An Experience that Caused You to Learn Something about Yourself When I studied in Senior High School, I have the wonderful experience. It ha...